Monday, July 25, 2011

Happy Birthday to my little man!

Now on to the real reason I started taking cake decorating classes - so I could make really great birthday cakes for my kids. So when my son Lucas decided he wanted a Cars cake, I got all excited and started looking up ideas. Thing is, most of them were much more complicated than I was willing to attempt, and would have made a lot more cake than I needed.


So I opted for a cute little racetrack design. Initially, I had planned on using crushed oreo cookies for the road, with white lines down the middle. And then my son decided he wanted a lemon cake. Fine with me, since I had a box of lemon cake mix in the pantry (maybe that's where he got the idea?). However, chocolate and lemon really don't go together, so I decided on a graham cracker dirt road, complete with "tracks' that I carved out with my fingers, and grass with my favorite decorating tip.



Then, because I had to put some fondant on it, I did some stars on the sides, with inlays. My little guy loved it and he had an awesome birthday.

Happy Birthday Sweetie!!

3 comments:

  1. Those cars are perfect! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL.... those are store-bought matchbox cars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, well..I know your work is great so it wouldn't surprise me if you had made them. Cute cute cute, I really like the designs on the side and the bright, contrasting colors too.

    ReplyDelete