Monday, July 25, 2011

Course Three - Fondant and Gum Paste!

I think this was the class that I was most excited about - ever since I started watching the show "Ace of Cakes", I wanted to be able to make a cake covered with fondant. Little did I know just how frustrating fondant and gum paste could be! Of course, it didn't help that I had to wait until the final class to actually cover a cake with fondant. What a lesson in patience! The remaining classes were devoted to learning how to make a bow, and making gum paste flowers like roses, carnations, calla lilies, daisies and mums.

It took a lot of thinking for me to decide on a design for my final cake, but I think it turned out pretty well. And I went all out for this - I could have made it easier on myself and used a package of store-bought fondant, because it's so much easier to work with, but noooo. I made my own chocolate fondant! It was easier than I thought it would be, but man, did my hands hurt from kneading it! Totally worth it in though - in the end I had a gorgeous cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment