Sunday, April 21, 2013

An apple a day and a doctor's birthday!

After a busy week of cake decorating the first week of April, I was just starting to kick back and relax before working on my next order, when I got an e-mail from a past client - Ratna. I've made two cakes for her, and her friend Priti wanted to order two cakes for a birthday party this weekend. I told her that I didn't have any big plans yet, and as long as the cakes were simple, I should be able to do them.

The first cake, I kid you not, is one of the easiest cakes I've ever made. It's for Ratna's husband, a lover of all things apple. And I'm not talking about the fruit. She showed me a picture and I said, "oh, I would love to make that!". I even got to use my silver sparkle dust! The cake itself is a favorite combo of Ratna and her family - chocolate cake with oreo buttercream filling. Plain buttercream on the outside with a fondant apple logo, brushed with sparkle dust.


The second cake is for Ratna's father-in-law, who works as a cardiologist for one of the hospitals that I work at, and is celebrating his 70th birthday. Ratna was bouncing ideas off me, and the first picture she showed me was a rectangular cake covered with fondant and decorated to look like a doctor's coat, complete with collar and tie. I told her that  not only was that a bit too complicated considering the time I had available, but it alone would feed the 24 people that she and her friend were expecting and it would be hard to scale down. Then she showed me a picture of a heart-shaped cake. This one looked much more simple and I told her I could definitely do it. So I purchased a set of heart-shaped cake pans and made this cake - it's red velvet with cream cheese filling and red buttercream frosting. Dr. Tajik loves red, so I purchased a red heart-shaped platter to put it on. The decorations on top are all fondant, and the ECG lines on the sides are icing. Being a medical person, I had so much fun decorating this cake. The ECG might not be perfect, but maybe Dr. Tajik will have fun analyzing it. :)


Happy Birthday to Jamil and Dr. Tajik! I hope that both of you have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment