Saturday, November 17, 2012

Welcoming Baby Owen!

For anyone who doesn't know, I an not only a full-time mom and cake decorator, I am a part-part-time Medical Technologist as well. I basically pick up shifts as they become available, which is a pretty sweet deal. One night this past summer, I was talking to a co-worker about the wedding cake that I would be making (ahh . . . memories!), and Winston, one of the third shift techs who had just come in, overheard me. I showed him a few of my cake pictures that I had with me on my phone, and he said that he and his wife were planning an open house/baby welcoming party that fall. They are both from Africa, and it is a custom where they are from to have a celebration like this when the baby is around 6 months old. Well, you can't have a party without cake, so he told me right then and there that he and his wife were going to order a cake from me for the event.

Well, several months later (and a few communication gaps along the way thanks to my not working for two months!), I finally got all of the details ironed out and whipped this up. Pretty good considering I had finalized the design only three days before the event! The cake is a simple yellow cake with chocolate buttercream frosting and filling and lots of colorful fondant decorations!



Congrats to Winston, Emi, and little Owen!

No comments:

Post a Comment