Friday, August 10, 2012

Whimsyshire!

First, some backstory. I got this order from my friend Sara. She is the one who gave me my first ever cake order a little over a year ago so when she asked for another cake, this time for her hubby, I was happy to say yes. Then came the design. She mentioned a game called Diablo 3 and a special level called Whimsyshire with unicorns and teddy bears and rainbows and pretty pink flowers. She even sent me a picture.
Now hearing the name "Diablo 3", the first thing I thought of wasn't exactly happy unicorns and smiling clouds. Then she told me that no.. it is not a happy game. These characters are from Whimsyshire, a secret level of this game. The game itself is very dark. In fact, she sent me a link with a video of game footage. Feel free to google it yourself if you want. The gist of this game is that once in this happy place, the object is to kill as many unicorns and teddy bears as possible. Yeah... pretty gruesome.
Well, good thing she wanted me to make this a bright happy cake. I did make a few changes though - I omitted the purple unicorn and replaced it with a teddy bear. A pink, decapitated teddy bear. I giggled a bit as I was putting it together, and in doing so I was able to add another talent to my cake decorating repertoire - painting! Basically used gel colors with almond extract to give the picture the shading it needed. The colors aren't exactly the same, but it's pretty close
And here is a full view of the cake - I had meant to do rainbows on the sides of the cake between the flowers, but by the time I got the flowers on, it was almost midnight and I was having a hard time keeping my eyes open. I figured that wasn't exactly a good time to be using an exacto knife.
The cake itself is dark chocolate with chocolate ganache filling. Had to get the dark theme in there somewhere :)



1 comment:

  1. I learn some new stuff from it too, thanks for sharing your information.
    happy wheels for you

    ReplyDelete