Sunday, May 6, 2012

Minnie Mouse!

Two months ago, I got a message from my friend Marge, who had been following all of my adventures in cake decorating and wanted me to make a cake for her granddaughter's birthday. I was happy to provide a cake for her, and when she told me a month later that she wanted a Dora the Explorer cake, I got to work looking up ideas. I had everything all set and was about to go to the store to get some little toys to put on top of the cake, when I got a message from Marge stating that there was a change in plans. She had been to a party supply store to get invitations and her granddaughter saw a pair of Minnie Mouse ears, grabbed them and put them on her head. Marge later told me that her granddaughter never lets anyone put anything on her head. No headbands. No hats. So when she grabbed the mouse ears and proudly displayed them, Marge knew that a Minnie Mouse party was the way to go. She purchased a candle and some toppers and sent me a message stating the change in plans. So I started planning another design for the cake, all this time not knowing what the decorations that she had purchased looked like. I had an idea about what I wanted to do, but didn't know what colors I'd need. She dropped off the decorations on Thursday afternoon, and from there I set to work with the final design. It took a while, but in the end I came up with a design that I knew she would love.

Two days, two cakes and one yummy batch of strawberry buttercream, and lots of pink and purple icing (not to mention some fun fondant colors!) later, I was done.


Happy Birthday Autumn - I hope you love eating your cake as much as I loved making it for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment