Saturday, August 20, 2011

Winnie the Pooh and his little hunny bee!

I was so excited to be able to make the cake for my niece's first birthday, especially since it meant making a smash cake. When she told me the theme - Winnie the Pooh, I thought, well that will be easy. I looked up some designs and none of them really appealed to me. I thought of doing a shaped cake, but couldn't find a pan available that I liked. So I asked my sister if she could send me a picture of some of the decorations she got, and I'd work from that. Thus came my inspiration. I went to the website she gave me, printed a picture of one of the decorations, traced it and then enlarged it so it would be big enough to fit on half of a quarter sheet cake. I used a pinprick transfer technique (I would have used a piping gel transfer, but with all of the small details, I thought this would be easier). It was easier in some ways and more difficult in others, but in the end it came out great.

Then came the smash cake. I was lucky enough to find a set of three 4-inch cake pans when I was shopping at Farm and Fleet (really... who knew?), so I used two of them to make a little two layer smash cake. And since the theme was Winnie the Pooh, I thought, what would be cuter than a little honey bee? For the wings, I could have used gum paste, but I figured I'd use something more edible to a one year old - nilla wafers!

Both cakes were chocolate with raspberry buttercream. Yum!


Happy Birthday little Evelyn!


No comments:

Post a Comment